Max Verstappen has made clear that he would rather not contest the final two rounds of the 2026 Formula 1 season in Qatar and Abu Dhabi if the ongoing conflict in the Middle East continues to create travel and security concerns. His comments come as the fate of both Grands Prix remains unresolved, with a final decision expected by mid-October.
F1 has yet to confirm whether Qatar and Abu Dhabi can take place as scheduled. The Lusail International Circuit and Yas Marina Circuit remain the planned venues for the final two rounds, while Imola has been placed on standby should conditions make travel to the Middle East impossible.
Verstappen gave his position when asked about returning to the two countries. The Red Bull Racing driver acknowledged that he has always enjoyed visiting them, but believes the wider geopolitical situation must take priority if conflict remains close to the region.

"I always really enjoy going to those countries. But when you know that war is very close by and some countries might be in conflict with each other, I don't think you should go there."
Verstappen also stressed that contractual obligations would not change his personal view, while accepting that the final decision does not rest with him. Asked whether the races could still proceed despite his reservations, he acknowledged that this remains possible.
"It doesn't matter whether there's a contract or not; that's my personal opinion. But it's not up to me."
"Unfortunately, yes."
Should Qatar and Abu Dhabi be removed from the calendar, Imola would become the fallback venue. The Italian circuit is familiar territory for Verstappen, although a December race would introduce different challenges, including cooler temperatures and a significant possibility of rain.
Verstappen is not opposed to that possibility. He suggested that a wet race at Imola could provide an entertaining challenge, even if the conditions could make the use of Formula 1's wet-weather tyres particularly difficult. The decision would therefore determine not only where the 2026 season concludes, but also the conditions in which the championship reaches its final stage.
"That'll be chaos with our rain tyres, I think. But I'm actually fine with that. It's a fun track, of course."
The decision on Qatar and Abu Dhabi is expected by mid-October. Until then, Lusail and Yas Marina remain the planned venues, with Imola waiting as the alternative should travel to the Middle East ultimately be deemed unsafe.



Discussion (0)
Join the Discussion!
Sign in easily to start commenting, replying, and interacting with other readers.
Latest Comments
No comments yet. Be the first!