Uncertainty looms over the final three races of the 2026 Formula 1 season. The ongoing conflict in the Middle East forced the cancellation of the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian GPs earlier this year, and now the fate of the races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi in November hangs in the balance. F1 is seeking a solution to keep the season on track, with Imola being prepared as a backup option.
Initially, F1 hoped the situation in the Middle East would improve. CEO Stefano Domenicali stated in late July that a decision would be made if conditions didn't improve by mid-September. However, after discussions in the F1 Commission earlier this week, teams now expect an answer by mid-October. This deadline is critical due to logistics: sea freight to Qatar by late November would be cutting it fine if a decision is delayed.
F1 remains committed to holding the Qatar and Abu Dhabi races as scheduled. Preparations at both circuits continue under the assumption they will go ahead. However, the championship cannot risk a last-minute change without a contingency after the Las Vegas Grand Prix on November 21. Therefore, a Plan B has been prepared, with Imola emerging as the leading candidate.

Work at Imola has already begun to ensure the Italian circuit can host a race if needed. F1 will cover the costs of preparations, including setting up grandstands, if a switch to Imola does not happen. This guarantees a ready-to-go alternative. "I believe Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it," said Ayao Komatsu, Haas team principal. "The challenges are, for instance, things like European motorhome structure, etc – all those people who look after them, they have a winter job, so we need to find alternative people to do that."
Concerns about the weather in Imola in December are also deemed excessive. Audi boss Mattia Binotto dismissed talk of snow tyres. "As a matter of fact, the average temperature in Imola in that time of the year is hotter than [when F1 races in] Las Vegas," he said. "So I don't think that's a true concern. It's more from the organisation and the logistics, really. And mid-October, hopefully we may do the right decision."
With time running out, F1 is in a difficult position. They must ensure the season ends spectacularly, but also be prepared for any eventuality. Imola, which holds a special place in the hearts of fans, could be the savior. However, all eyes are now on developments in the Middle East and the decision to be made in the coming weeks.



Diskusi & Komentar (0)
Mari Bergabung dalam Diskusi!
Masuk dengan mudah untuk mulai memberikan komentar, membalas, dan berinteraksi dengan pembaca lainnya.
Komentar Terbaru
Belum ada komentar. Jadilah yang pertama!